Volunteer Program Administrator, Maternity cover
The Humane League
Campaigns, corporate engagement, or volunteer management
Middle or junior management
Animal Charity Evaluators Review:
About the Role
We are seeking a self-motivated, well organised, collaborative individual with the drive to create progressive change for millions of farmed animals.
As Volunteer Program Administrator you will be part of a small, high-impact team specialising in organising our volunteers and grassroots activities to achieve change for farmed animals.
You will report to the Volunteer Program Manager and will be part of the wider Programs team. You will be responsible for providing key administrative support to our volunteer network. From providing ongoing logistical support to facilitate volunteer grassroots activities, through to supporting our volunteer recruitment, you will ensure our volunteers have everything they need to be fully engaged in their role and have as much impact as possible for the animals.
This is a temporary 12 month maternity cover, full-time position (37.5 hours per week).
You are passionate about The Humane League’s mission of ending the abuse of animals raised for food. While working with autonomy is an important part of your role, strong collaboration and communication skills are paramount to your success. You will have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team in a fast paced environment and be able to prioritise and manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
* Manage our volunteer database (Assemble), ensuring volunteer information is accurate and kept up to date
* Responsible for the monthly reporting of volunteer activity, collating feedback and collaborating with the Volunteer Programs Team to ensure volunteer contributions to campaign goals are tracked
* Encourage volunteers to utilise the database to track their activities, and coordinate the ‘recognitions’ project for volunteers
* Be the go to person for any new volunteer enquiries, providing guidance and support
* Communicate with the volunteer community on a regular basis via email, Slack and phone, collecting information and checking in with activities as required
* Manage the logistics of the volunteer recruitment journey, ensuring all new volunteers complete the appropriate onboarding pathway and providing bespoke support as needed, including delivering welcome calls if required
* Provide ongoing administrative support to volunteers as required, coordinating their expenses, posting their materials, welcome packs when they join, and anything else required for their roles
* Support with the growth of the volunteer community, helping to coordinate any active recruitment efforts for new volunteers
* Actively collaborate across the Volunteer Programs Team, remaining responsive to the needs of the team to ensure the administrative needs are met
* Support the delivery of virtual events for the national volunteer community
* Support the grassroots volunteer community, assisting with the organisation of in-person events including sourcing, ordering and distributing the required materials and supporting volunteers with any other logistical requirements as needed (eg advertising events)
* Attend conferences, events, protests and actions
* Participate in team meetings, including note-taking when required
* Attend in-person workshops several times a year
* Help us make THL UK an inclusive workplace where employees and supporters are proud to be members of the movement
* Demonstrate commitment to creating a stronger and more effective animal protection movement through inclusion and belonging, recognising the need for all of us to do better for social justice on a personal and organisational level.
* Perform any other duties assigned by the Volunteer Program Manager
Organised: You are a forward-thinker who works on your own initiative, meeting objectives and tight deadlines under pressure
Communication: Comfortable communicating over a wide variety of platforms, you are able to effectively engage our volunteers and simply and effectively communicate what is required
Multi-tasking: Managing several tasks at once, and working across the Programs Department, you are comfortable multi-tasking to achieve desired outcomes
Team player: You value the benefits of teamwork, making your contribution confidently within the team. You are comfortable working with staff from different teams
Interpersonal skills: You have a friendly and welcoming demeanour and communicate our message well to supporters. Your emotional intelligence enables you to provide support as needed, forming positive relationships with our volunteers and supporters with ease
Good to know:
Our employees all work remotely but still enjoy a supportive, collaborative environment. You will have access to a workplace pension, 25 days leave plus Public Holidays, flexible working hours, internet reimbursement, access to our Mental Health Assistance package, and family-friendly policies. Professional learning and development is actively encouraged.
At The Humane League UK, animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work and as such, many of our employees are vegan by personal choice. All of our events and workshops offer only plant-based meals. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
We are looking to speak to a wide range of candidates with diverse backgrounds - #NonGraduatesWelcome
For our salaries to be fair, transparent and equitable we want to provide a system that delivers a competitive salary in the market and could eliminate potential biases in compensation (such as the gender pay gap). For more information about the Volunteer Program Administrator salary please click here.
All applicants need to be:
1. Fluent in written and spoken English.
2. Live and have the right to work in the UK (we are unable to consider applications from those without the right to work in the UK).
3. Committed to our mission to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
Closing date: Sunday 12th February 2023