About the Role
As one of our board members, you will play a pivotal role in guiding and supporting our organization's mission to improve the lives of billions of farmed shrimps. We are looking for committed individuals who are willing to contribute their expertise, time, and energy to help us further our work, and are excited about actively participating in providing clear mission-based leadership.
As a board member, your responsibilities will include the following:
1. Strategic leadership: Provide guidance and leadership to SWP by actively participating in the development and execution of our strategies.
2. Governance: Ensure that SWP is adhering to its legal and ethical responsibilities, maintaining the highest level of integrity, and safeguarding our reputation.
3. Financial oversight: Assist in our financial management, including approving budgets, financial reports, and fundraising strategies.
4. Evaluation of leadership: Evaluate the performance and determine the compensation of team members in leadership positions (2-3 people at most).
5. Commitment: Attend virtual board meetings, committee meetings, and relevant events, and actively participate in decision-making processes. Document meeting minutes.
About the Organisation
Shrimp Welfare Project is an organization in the Effective Altruism space. Effective Altruism (EA) and the idea that sentient beings deserve consideration are the core values that our team shares. EA is a philosophical and social movement that advocates the use of evidence and reasoning to determine the most effective ways to benefit others. Learn more at effectivealtruism.org - it’s really important for us!
Our mission is to improve the welfare of billions of shrimps, in the most cost-effective way possible. To achieve this, we have a three-pronged strategy:
* Supply-side: work with producers in India and Vietnam to help them address a number of issues related to shrimp farming, including but not limited to water quality.
* Demand-side: reaching out to relevant stakeholders (such as seafood importers in Europe) to commit to sourcing their shrimps from producers that fulfill certain higher welfare standards.
* Outreach: In addition to our supply- and demand-side work, we aim to increase the awareness of shrimp welfare as a cause area by participating in relevant conferences and webinars. We engage in discrete research projects within SWP, distributing our findings where beneficial, and assist in academic research where possible..
In the medium term, we aim to transition consumption towards a (today inexistent) market for higher-welfare shrimps.