About the Role
Open Philanthropy is looking to hire at least two Operations Assistants to support the day-to-day work of our Business Operations and Legal teams.
About the Business Operations Team
Open Philanthropy’s Business Operations team (BizOps) responds flexibly to program and research staff needs, and does everything else necessary to ensure that Open Philanthropy runs smoothly.
As a Business Operations Assistant you would:
* Make Open Philanthropy more efficient and productive — you’ll both directly support staff with time-consuming tasks (like cleaning up data or notes from grantee calls) and investigate scalable solutions to commonly-faced problems (e.g. identifying software to automate booking travel, or getting research staff access to paywalled articles faster).
* Support our office needs, in San Francisco — we’re planning to downsize our San Francisco office space to reflect our distributed workforce. You’ll support our relocation within the Bay and help both maintain that office and set up new remote office hubs in other cities.
* Run gatherings and events — you’ll provide flex capacity support for quarterly “togetherness week” events and an annual retreat to bring our staff together, as well as taking on team-specific event planning needs (e.g. bringing grantees together for a summit).
* Handle anything else that needs to get done — it’s impossible to anticipate everything we might need, so you’ll often take on special projects and ad hoc tasks as they arise.
About the Legal Team
Open Philanthropy’s Legal team provides well-calibrated legal advice and engages in collaborative and creative problem-solving. As a Legal Assistant you would:
* Provide administrative support – you’ll update our grant agreement and contract template, maintain our document filing systems, manage and improve our workflow, task tracking, and knowledge management systems, coordinate scheduling, take notes, and generally make sure things are running smoothly.
* Do legal research and writing – you’ll do first pass legal research and write up your findings on issues that come up for the legal team. Or an attorney working on a larger project may assign you a subset of their research. This will include things involving grants and grantmaking (like: when can we make a retroactive grant?), but also any other thing that comes up in the course of Open Phil’s day-to-day operations.
* Facilitate cross-team projects and functions – legal work often intersects with work that other teams own, including financial compliance and grant compliance; the legal assistant will work with other teams to ensure frictionless handoff. This can include owning parts of these processes, such as reviewing grantee reports on their work and helping run contractor onboarding and renewal.
* Assist with legal team needs – this might include making travel arrangements, doing expense reports, reviewing bills from outside firms and other things that will free up attorney time.
About the Organisation
Open Philanthropy is a philanthropic funder. Our mission is to help others as much as we can with the resources available to us. Our main funders are Cari Tuna and Dustin Moskovitz, a co-founder of Facebook and Asana. Meet our staff here.
Open Philanthropy was originally incubated as a partnership between GiveWell and Good Ventures.