About the Role
You would work closely with Finance Lead Jake Schwarber to assist with all aspects of our day-to-day finance operations and help build more sustainable processes to support Open Philanthropy’s organizational growth.
Your core responsibilities would include:
* Day-to-day management of our accounts payable process, including collection of relevant information and paperwork to ensure a smooth experience for our vendors and internal stakeholders.
* Working with our accountants to complete and optimize our period-end close process, enabling us to produce timely, accurate financial statements.
* Serving as the first line of review for staff expense reporting and troubleshooting finance-related questions from staff and contractors.
* Onboarding Open Philanthropy contractors, and continually looking for ways to improve our contractor process.
* Implementing new tools and software to make Open Philanthropy’s finance operations more efficient.
* Taking the initiative to suggest and help with projects to improve the team’s effectiveness and supporting the Finance Lead on larger efforts to improve Open Philanthropy’s finance operations.
Who we’re looking for
We’re open to considering applicants without any previous finance experience as well as more experienced finance / accounting professionals (with the final scope and level of responsibilities dependent on past experience).
You might be a great fit for this work if you:
* Are extremely organized and detail-oriented in your work; you rarely, if ever, let anything fall through the cracks.
* See internal and external stakeholders as customers, and want to make sure they walk away feeling helped whenever they come into contact with you or your team.
* Are a friendly and professional communicator, especially in writing.
* Are always looking for systems, tools and strategies to save time and effort, particularly when handling repetitive processes.
* Derive intrinsic satisfaction from seeing systems work well, even if your efforts end up being invisible to most staff.
* Are interested in learning the ins and outs of finance operations at a growing, mission-driven organization.
A CPA or other accounting-related certifications are a bonus (but not required!).
We expect all our staff to:
* Put our mission first, and act with urgency to help us realize our ambitious goals for impact.
* Work to model our operating values of ownership, openness, calibration and inclusiveness.
Role details & benefits
* Compensation: Compensation for this role will be based on a range of $84,303.19 to $104,132.47, which (for US hires) would be distributed as a base salary of $73,307.12 to $90,549.97 and an unconditional 401(k) grant of $10,996.07 to $13,582.50.
* These compensation figures assume a remote location; there would be geographic adjustments upwards for candidates based in the San Francisco Bay Area or Washington, D.C.
* All compensation will be distributed in the form of take-home salary for internationally-based hires.
* Time zones and location: You can work from anywhere. While we are not able to sponsor visas for this role, we are open to hires outside the US willing to consistently work US business hours.
* Benefits: Our benefits package includes:
* Excellent health insurance (we cover 100% of premiums within the US for you and any dependents)
* Dental, vision and life insurance for you and your family
* Four weeks of PTO recommended per year
* Four months of fully paid family leave
* A generous and flexible expense policy — we encourage staff to expense the ergonomic equipment, software and other services that they need to stay healthy and productive
* Support for remote work — we’ll cover a remote workspace outside your home if you need one, or connect you with an Open Phil co-working hub in your city
* We can’t always provide every benefit we offer US staff to international hires, but we’re working on it (and will usually provide cash equivalents of any benefits we can’t offer in your country)
* Start date: We’d ideally like a candidate to start as soon as possible after receiving an offer, though we’re willing to wait if the best candidate can only start later.
We’re considering applicants on a rolling basis. Please apply as soon as you’re able — we may give priority to candidates who are able to move through the process sooner.