About the Role
You will be responsible for creating, leading, and executing overall strategy to implement the legislative and policy components of the organization’s strategic plan within the state of Minnesota. You will promote the organization’s policies and strategic plan with lawmakers, allies, stakeholders, and advocates; Develop subject matter expertise on state’s legislative and agency rule-making process; Represent the organization in local and state media, build and maintain relationships with state agencies and public officials.
You will be responsible for:
* In collaboration with programs, developing and implementing a plan to carry out the organization’s policy and legislative goal initiatives in the state of Minnesota;
* Advancing local, state, and federal legislative priorities through direct lobbying, coalition building, grassroots outreach and more. Identifying and securing sponsor(s) for organizational legislative and policy goals, ensuring introduction of legislation, advocating for and managing policy reform through each step of the process;
* Alerting appropriate campaign or program of opportunities to advance or defeat legislation or policy and leading subsequent campaign strategy within the state;
* Recruiting, leading, supporting, and inspiring a robust team of Humane Policy Volunteer Leaders; aligning volunteer efforts with the strategic plan. Building and engaging a diverse coalition of stakeholders, from veterinarians, animal sheltering professionals, environmental and conservation groups to other, in support of the organization’s strategic plan;
* Strengthening enforcement of animal protection laws. In collaboration with organizational experts, providing guidance, training, and support for local investigators and enforcement officials, and providing hands-on assistance when appropriate;
* Seeking out media opportunities to increase public awareness of priority issues. Responding to media requests relating to legislation, cruelty, and other animal protection issues in coordination with the Communications department. Writing op-ed pieces and press releases as necessary, giving media interviews, and maintaining relationships with editorial boards and local media;
* On occasion, working with the Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF) to carry out State PAC work or political activity;
* Complying with internal, local, and statewide lobbying regulations, managing the state’s budget, and updating and maintaining social media sites with information regarding organizational priorities and initiatives.
About the Organisation
The humane society we envision for animals will also be a better world for people, and it’s only through human efforts that we’ll get where we want to go. Because our advocacy is driven by people, we’re strongest when our people are empowered and valued. A work environment that fosters inclusion and collaboration energizes our teams, drives better thinking and makes our impact for animals more sustainable. Working with communities and stakeholders around the world, we integrate a wide range of cultural perspectives in our approach to create a humane and sustainable world for all animals. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in every aspect of our work and at all levels of our organization. We recognize and respect the full spectrum of human qualities, so that the unique talents of all employees are dignified with equitable access to opportunities and an ability to contribute to our mission.