About the Role
This position will lead the institutional engagement vertical of the Farm Animal Protection department in India which strategies and supervises implementation of Humane Entrepreneurship Program and corporate outreach work to promote refinement, reduction and replacement of farm animals in food industry. This position is also responsible for overseeing staff of the vertical.
Strategy and oversight of institutional outreach
* Strategizes the development of and oversees implementation of a program to get institutions including leading national and multi-national hospitality companies and food retailers, conglomerates, providers, manufacturers, and processers to adopt higher welfare standards including cage free and plant-based initiatives.
* Develops and maintain partnerships and advise and influence leading global and multi-national hospitality companies and food retailers, providers, manufacturers, and processers including but not limited to developing policy statements, organizing and participating in farm visits, working with in-country coordinators to organize and lead corporate animal welfare roundtables and technical workshops.
* Advises and influences egg and meat producers to shift to higher welfare cage-free and other higher welfare housing systems.
* Develops collaborations and partnerships with relevant organizations to advance the global corporate policy work; collaborates with relevant animal protection organizations, among others, to align strategy, messaging, and corporate asks where possible
* Manages the development of customized plant-based initiatives for the largest food service conglomerates, including but not limited to in-depth plant-based proposals, recipe development and recipe tracking, promotional materials, training and curricula for foodservice professionals, presentations, web site text, guides, and standard operating procedures
* Engages with government stakeholders and policy makers to promote the development of public policy and support for plant-based alternatives.
* Establishes and maintains relationships and negotiates, alongside the engagement leads, with the largest food service conglomerates to adopt plant-based initiatives
* Provides internal guidance and training to the largest food service management companies, as needed, including but not limited to designing new plant-based training curriculum, on-demand videos, and training manuals, to ensure food company goals at the account level are understood and implemented.
* Represents HSI/India at and organizes roundtables, meetings, webinars, and other events for target corporations to increase awareness and gain plant-based pledges.
* Identifies data development and research opportunities and collaborates with subject matter experts to develop research through surveys, RFPs, and grants/sponsorships with the scientific community.
Humane Entrepreneurship Program management
* Strategizes, designs, and oversees the management of the Humane Entrepreneurship Program (HEP) within the Farm Animal Protection department.
* Identifies and maintains working relationships with humane businesses.
* Engages with Government bodies to promote humane businesses.
* Engages with investors, venture capitals and funds to create funding opportunities for the humane entrepreneurs.
* Develops standard operating procedures, modules and guidance materials for humane businesses to improve animal welfare practices in animal production systems.
* Serves as a spokesperson for the organization at coalitions, associations and partnerships arising out of capacity building activities.
* Develops and reviews documents relating to HEP’s media strategy.
* Serves as a spokesperson for the organizations at conferences and events sponsored by business organizations.
* Manages the staff and helps them achieve their goals, including providing staff with guidance and advice, training, performance management, leadership development and career development.
* Assists the Director, Farm Animal Protection with hiring strategy for the department, drafting job descriptions, interviewing candidates for positions including but not limited to employees, consultants, intern and/or volunteers and trains them as necessary.
* Works in collaboration with Director, FAP and operations department to facilitate smooth operations of financial, administrative, and travel processes.
* Oversees the implementation of projects by interns and volunteers.
* Performs other duties or responsibilities, as assigned.
About the Organisation
The humane society we envision for animals will also be a better world for people, and it’s only through human efforts that we’ll get where we want to go. Because our advocacy is driven by people, we’re strongest when our people are empowered and valued. A work environment that fosters inclusion and collaboration energizes our teams, drives better thinking and makes our impact for animals more sustainable. Working with communities and stakeholders around the world, we integrate a wide range of cultural perspectives in our approach to create a humane and sustainable world for all animals. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in every aspect of our work and at all levels of our organization. We recognize and respect the full spectrum of human qualities, so that the unique talents of all employees are dignified with equitable access to opportunities and an ability to contribute to our mission.