About the Role
In this position you will provide strategic leadership and oversight for Humane Society International’s wildlife department staff and portfolio. Develops and implements long-term campaign, policy, and outreach strategies as well as budgeting, staffing, and evaluation for the department. Guides and inspires a talented team of professionals while collaborating with HSI country offices and global staff to ensure teamwork and cohesion. Represents HSI externally on key wildlife issues.
This position will be responsible for:
• Developing and directing the strategy of the HSI Wildlife department to protect wildlife around the globe. This includes providing leadership and guidance to the global team through strategic planning in the creation and implementation of campaigns, programs, policy efforts, field projects, and publications;
• Developing and directing department campaigns and projects in collaboration with other departments and outside stakeholders. Influencing and building relationships with a network of internal and external stakeholders in support of the overall effectiveness of the organization's and department’s operations and achievement of critical department and organizational goals;
• Representing the organization and department at various forums, including, but not limited to, professional meetings, conferences, and workshops. Serving as a spokesperson/presenter, as required, delivering expert testimony to legislators, participating in media interviews and debates, networking with government officials and colleagues, and communicating with the public via articles, social media, and other venues;
• Managing the department to ensure that staff and consultants achieve their goals; also providing guidance and advice, training, performance management, and leadership and career development. Identifying and developing potential successors;
• Developing and managing the departmental budget with full accountability. Driving sustainable financial results and operational performance of the department;
• Engaging in cross-departmental planning projects and meetings. Responding to requests from other departments for collaboration, advice, and information;
• Communicating and collaborating with executive leadership and country-based leadership to enact projects, ensuring strategic alignment, and maintaining up-to-date flow of knowledge. Championing philosophical and behavioral values and culture across the organization;
• Performing other duties or responsibilities, as assigned.
About the Organisation
The humane society we envision for animals will also be a better world for people, and it’s only through human efforts that we’ll get where we want to go. Because our advocacy is driven by people, we’re strongest when our people are empowered and valued. A work environment that fosters inclusion and collaboration energizes our teams, drives better thinking and makes our impact for animals more sustainable. Working with communities and stakeholders around the world, we integrate a wide range of cultural perspectives in our approach to create a humane and sustainable world for all animals. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in every aspect of our work and at all levels of our organization. We recognize and respect the full spectrum of human qualities, so that the unique talents of all employees are dignified with equitable access to opportunities and an ability to contribute to our mission.