About the Role
The Humane Society International (HSI), an affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Senior Specialist, Research, Farm Animal Welfare Science for HSI, India. In this position you will be responsible for leading HSI India’s farm animal welfare research, and working with HSI’s Farm Animal Welfare and Protection department to develop and conduct research to support the implementation of HSI India’s Farm Animal Protection Department’s program strategy as well as HSI global. Representing HSI India in scientific, public policy, and animal welfare forums and supporting the organization’s engagement with corporations, financial institutions, and producers.
• Develops the organization’s farm animal welfare research, analysis and fact checking consistent with program policies, along with development of white papers, factsheets, and peer-reviewed publications relating to farm animal welfare;
• Serve as spokesperson and represent the organization at academic conferences and industry conferences and at national governmental meetings (including departments of animal husbandry or legislative meetings) and oversee HSI India’s Farm Animals’ engagement with academic and research programs studying animal welfare science;
• Collaborates with and support HSI’s efforts to establish and implements global animal welfare standards through the World Organization for Animal Health (WOAH), and the International Coalition for Animal Welfare (ICFAW), including meeting with national decision makers, drafting comments on draft Code chapters, and developing the strategy and tactics for these efforts;
• Represent HSI/India and liaise with farm animal welfare certifications programs to complement farm animal protection programs & campaigns; draft and submit recommendations on animal welfare standards related to farm animals and plant – based eating;
• Collaborates with the Director, Farm Animal Protection, department at HSI/India and Global Farm Animal Department to meet with and present scientific and technical guidance to global and national food retailers, corporations, producers, and other institutions and businesses to advocate for the adoption and implementation of the organization’s recommendations for improved animal welfare;
• Collaborates with HSI Director, Farm Animal Welfare Science, to develop scientific material supporting welfare standards by HSI/India in litigation and for other areas as needed, review and provide detailed comments on farm animal welfare cases, legal documents, draft legislation, and other materials that require scientific or technical animal welfare support;
• Oversees, drafts and reviews all India farm animal welfare related publications, media collaterals, press releases, blogs, and official correspondence for scientific accuracy;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Ph.D. in Animal Science, Animal Behavior (with a focus on farmed animal species), or Veterinary medicine or significant academic and research credentials required;
• A minimum of five (5) years of experience as an Animal Welfare Scientist required;
• A minimum of two (2) years of experience working internationally preferred;
• A high level of confidence, integrity, interpersonal skills, and a professional presence for effectively interacting with and influencing others, internal and external to the organization, as well as for facilitating meetings and conducting public speaking/presentations;
• Strong desk research and communication (written and oral) skills with the ability to translate information into a meaningful, understandable context and message, regardless of the format (e.g., documents, public speaking situations, presentations, etc.);
• Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as the ability to handle complex situations and demonstrate sound judgment and problem-solving;
• Demonstrated propensity to be creative, proactive, and self-motivated in the execution and completion of assigned accountabilities;
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of staff management practices and processes and the ability to establish accountabilities and expectations and manage performance to achieve results;
• Strong organizational, project, and priority management skills for planning, executing, and following up on issues, projects, and daily responsibilities meet deadlines;
• Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
• Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
• Thorough knowledge of and commitment to animal protection issues, with a strong preference for farm animal issues;
• Technical proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (i.e., WORD, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
• Willing and able to travel.
About the Organisation
The humane society we envision for animals will also be a better world for people, and it’s only through human efforts that we’ll get where we want to go. Because our advocacy is driven by people, we’re strongest when our people are empowered and valued. A work environment that fosters inclusion and collaboration energizes our teams, drives better thinking and makes our impact for animals more sustainable. Working with communities and stakeholders around the world, we integrate a wide range of cultural perspectives in our approach to create a humane and sustainable world for all animals. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in every aspect of our work and at all levels of our organization. We recognize and respect the full spectrum of human qualities, so that the unique talents of all employees are dignified with equitable access to opportunities and an ability to contribute to our mission.