About the Role
In this position you will be responsible for initiating, executing, and overseeing strategic media relations plans to increase media coverage for our federal priorities and litigation efforts, especially the work of the Humane Society Legislative Fund. The position will build our overall brand and raise public, donor and policymaker awareness of our regulatory, political and legal efforts on behalf of animals.
You will be responsible for:
• Proactively strategizing, overseeing, developing and executing media relations campaigns in coordination with the HSLF, Comms and media relations leadership and staff, with a particular focus on media and relationships that will boost our efforts with legislative, regulatory and political work, including federal administrative petitions, and proactive and defensive legal efforts. Evaluate projects related to strategic priorities, and associated media opportunities, prioritizing those that offer the highest return on investment;
• Pitching and/or advising on pitching of media to garner attention for domestic federal priority work, with a focus on Capitol Hill, political media and Washington, DC, media markets. Meeting with and cultivating relationships with reporters in that media market. Pitching and/or advising on pitching of media to garner attention for electoral work, including endorsements, in regional media markets;
• Strategizing collaboratively with internal stakeholders on key initiatives and providing direction, training and counsel to HSLF, APL, Comms and media relations specialists and coordinators on strategy, media relation practices and writing. Coordinating joint efforts with other departments and entities within the greater Humane Society family of organizations;
• Fielding media inquiries, performing background research, and developing messaging with appropriate spokespeople. Providing reporters with background information, video, and photos and scheduling interviews with issue experts;
• Monitoring press coverage for enterprising media opportunities; then taking immediate action using sound judgment, proven decision-making skills and effective strategy;
• Writing, editing, and routing press releases, advisories, pitch letters and other collateral material for the news media;
• Developing targeted lists and disseminating press releases and other materials to targeted contacts.
About the Organisation
The humane society we envision for animals will also be a better world for people, and it’s only through human efforts that we’ll get where we want to go. Because our advocacy is driven by people, we’re strongest when our people are empowered and valued. A work environment that fosters inclusion and collaboration energizes our teams, drives better thinking and makes our impact for animals more sustainable. Working with communities and stakeholders around the world, we integrate a wide range of cultural perspectives in our approach to create a humane and sustainable world for all animals. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in every aspect of our work and at all levels of our organization. We recognize and respect the full spectrum of human qualities, so that the unique talents of all employees are dignified with equitable access to opportunities and an ability to contribute to our mission.