About the Role
The Humane Society International (HSI), an affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Institutional Outreach Coordinator in India. In this position you will implement Humane Society International/India’s institutional outreach program which aims to work with consumers on the impacts of their food supply and procurement and reduce and replace animal-based food with plant-based food in local restaurants, hotels and cafes. Create awareness on the condition of industrial animal agriculture.
Promoting higher animal welfare food
• Executes the campaign and communication strategy to promote higher welfare products such as cage – free and others in food service companies, hotels, cafes and restaurants;
• Collaborates with key stakeholders in the sector such as chefs and cage – free egg producers to build their capacity amongst them;
• Works with consumer institutions including, but not limited to canteens and fast-moving consumer goods companies to build their procurement of higher welfare animal products;
• Organizes roundtables, workshops, and other events with stakeholders to promote the adoption of higher welfare animal products;
Promoting plant based food
• Works to implement plant-based policies through food service providers including hotels, restaurants, and cafeterias and seeks their commitment to reduce and replace animal-based products with plant-based items;
• Organizes roundtables, meetings, exhibitions, and demonstrations to bring plant-based businesses and local hotels, cafeterias, and restaurants together on reducing and replacing animal-based food with plant-based food;
• Builds networks with chefs, food service providers, global and national hotels, restaurants, and cafeterias to promote plant-based food and reduce animal products from their menu;
• Proactively engages with the hospitality industry and build networks and contacts amongst the them;
• Works with the communication department to develop and key relationships in the media to publicize and promote plant based food in the country;
• Trains and coordinates interns and volunteers on how to execute the program strategy;
• Develops collaterals and other media materials for the program including, but not limited to flyers, brochures, and posters;
• Performs other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
• Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience required;
• A minimum of two (2) years of experience in animal protection work required;
• Comprehensive knowledge of the farm animal protection sector preferred.
• Broad base of contacts amongst institutions including, but not limited to educational and corporates preferred;
• Knowledge and understanding of HSI India’s messaging and operating style;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, networking and negotiating;
• Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
• Strong interpersonal skills are necessary;
• Ability to communicate complex subject matter to a variety of audiences;
• Experience in report writing and collating data on report writing;
• Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally, as needed;
• Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
About the Organisation
The humane society we envision for animals will also be a better world for people, and it’s only through human efforts that we’ll get where we want to go. Because our advocacy is driven by people, we’re strongest when our people are empowered and valued. A work environment that fosters inclusion and collaboration energizes our teams, drives better thinking and makes our impact for animals more sustainable. Working with communities and stakeholders around the world, we integrate a wide range of cultural perspectives in our approach to create a humane and sustainable world for all animals. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in every aspect of our work and at all levels of our organization. We recognize and respect the full spectrum of human qualities, so that the unique talents of all employees are dignified with equitable access to opportunities and an ability to contribute to our mission.