About the Role
In alignment with our mission to improve the lives of billions of farmed fish, Fish Welfare Initiative collaborates with fish farmers in Andhra Pradesh to improve the animal welfare standards on their farms.
For this role, we’re looking for a development professional, ideally with some experience with aqua farmers or animal advocacy, who can refine and scale our Alliance for Responsible Aquaculture.
Note: We are only accepting Telugu-speaking Indian nationals, and you must be willing to relocate to Andhra Pradesh.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for leading the Alliance for Responsible Aquaculture in one region of Andhra Pradesh. Specifically, this will involve:
* Becoming an expert in aquaculture.
* Building strong relationships with local farmers.
* Inducting new farmers into the Alliance.
* Collecting regular water quality data and advising farmers on how to improve water quality.
* Regularly articulating the benefits and value of animal welfare in aquaculture.
* Collaborating with local NGOs and other partners.
* Conducting monitoring and evaluation to refine and increase the impact of current welfare improvements.
* Performing any other duties assigned by your manager.
Qualifications and Education
* Bachelor’s degree or greater in Fisheries, Aqua Culture, Social Sciences, Other Sciences OR 1 year of experience in the development or animal advocacy domains.
* Strongly committed to improving the lives of animals and personally and professionally adhering to the highest ethical standards.
* Willing to relocate to Andhra Pradesh.
* Excited to work extensively in the field.
* Ability to work independently and manage others.
* Fluent oral and written English and Telugu.
Ideally you have all of the following characteristics, although we encourage you to apply even if you only have some of them:
* Previous experience in global development, particularly agricultural initiatives.
* Previous experience with aquaculture or animal protection.
* Previous experience working with state governments.
* A strong network in the global development sector.
* Excited by intense and rewarding work in a new startup.
The Fine Print
* Location: Andhra Pradesh, India.
* Position Status: Full-time.
* Benefits: Health insurance, flexible hours, startup atmosphere.
* Start Date: ASAP, with some flexibility.
* Pay: Up to 50,000INR/month, depending on need and experience.
About the Organisation
Fish Welfare Initiative (FWI) is a startup organization whose mission is to improve the welfare of fish as much as possible. We focus specifically on farmed fish, i.e., fish raised in aquaculture. We collaborate with corporations, governments, and producers to improve fish welfare standards and practices.