About the Role
Essential is recruiting a Commercial Lead in Kenya who will be responsible for developing and implementing our sales and marketing strategy, managing all buyer relationships, and identifying new business opportunities and distribution channels.
The Commercial Lead will oversee all of Essential’s sales and marketing, and will be accountable for delivering sales, ensuring customer satisfaction, and understanding customer behavior. The Commercial Lead will report to the CEO and work closely with the executive team to ensure that all processes run smoothly and efficiently. This role is ideal for individuals who have a growth mindset, a passion for problem-solving and building systems, and a comfort in leading through uncertainty, exploration, and iteration. This role will be based in Nairobi.
● Sales & Marketing Strategy:
○ Develop and execute comprehensive sales and marketing strategy that includes identifying target markets, establishing sales goals, and setting performance markets.
○ Develop pricing strategies and negotiate contracts to optimize for impact and profitability.
○ Oversee the creation and implementation of creative marketing campaigns that effectively communicate the brand and product value propositions.
● Customer Relationship and Partnership Management:
○ Build strong relationships with clients, provide excellent customer support, and ensure customer satisfaction
○ Work with clients to understand their needs, pain points, and preferences
○ Address custom inquiries and concerns promptly, ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction
○ Design and implement a CRM system to track interactions with potential and existing customers
○ Engage with government and other partners that are crucial to Essential’s success
● Expansion & Growth:
○ Design and implement a strategic business plan that expands the company’s customer base and ensures its strong presence
○ Cultivate new sales opportunities and identify new distribution channels
○ Identify emerging markets and market shifts while being fully aware of new products and competition status
○ Conduct market analysis to inform new product development
○ Analyze consumer behavior and adjust marketing strategies accordingly
● Leadership & Management:
○ Present sales, revenue, and expenses reports and realistic forecasts to the management team
○ Represent Essential externally at conferences, trade shows, and industry events to network and promote our products
○ Collaborate with the product development team to ensure customer feedback is incorporated into product offerings
○ Work closely with internal teams to ensure demand fulfillment and customer satisfaction.
About the Organisation
Essential is a new bioscience organization creating breakthrough solutions to tackle malnutrition and transform food systems. We are leveraging advances in fermentation to convert agricultural byproduct
into affordable, accessible, and climate-resilient proteins that can be integrated into products to prevent and treat malnutrition.
Our goal is to catalyze a new model of climate-resilient protein production in Sub-Saharan Africa and build a bioscience R&D engine in East Africa.
Essential was founded on the belief that advances in the sciences hold potential to transform the most important global problems. We are a passionate and fast-paced team focused on generating
breakthrough solutions for the world’s poor. We are audacious in our vision, ambitious in our thinking, and rigorous and humble in our approach. We have a presence in San Francisco, Nairobi, and Addis