About the Role
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
What we’re looking for:
Charity Navigator seeks a strategic thinker and thought leader to join our Rating team This is a unique opportunity to influence the nonprofit sector by developing the expertise and leading efforts to implement the Leadership and Adaptability and Culture & Community beacons within the Charity Navigator’s Encompass Ratings System. These beacons will provide an assessment of an organization's leadership practices, people operations/HR policies, commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), strategic planning capacities, adaptability measures, and engagement with the constituents and communities served
The VP of Leadership and Community Ratings provides the unique opportunity to lead a team to develop a new set of methodologies to evaluate nonprofit organizations at scale. We’re looking for an individual with demonstrated expertise in the domains covered within the Culture & Community and Leadership and Adaptability beacons and someone who can build relationships with various stakeholders within the social impact space in order to aggregate their collective intelligence into this aspect of our ratings. An ideal candidate will be a system-level thinker who is motivated by the prospect of elevating these issues and helping nonprofits and donors prioritize these best practices. This role will report to the Chief Program Officer
In this role, you will:
Drive overall project planning, supervising, and decision-making:
* Develop the strategy and work plan for the development of the Culture & Community and Leadership and Adaptability beacon, including:
* Define best practices and benchmarks for each of the evaluation domains
* Conduct research such as literature reviews and expert interviews
* Find and build sources of nonprofit data for each of the domains, with attention to the wide variety of causes and categories.
* Collect and analyze data from nonprofits and user testing
* Engage subject matter experts, nonprofit leaders, and donors to build, improve, and validate methodological choices.
* Prepare the roadmap for iteration of the beacon that includes a schedule for version releases and explorations
* Implement data-driven analytics frameworks to drive beacon success for scalability and adoption by donors and nonprofit organizations.
* Serve as a leading member of our Rating team to develop a methodology for nonprofit ratings with an emphasis on ensuring that any systemic bias in the methodology is eliminated.
* Provide high-level guidance on how to monitor the effectiveness of these beacons within the Encompass system.
* Guide and support beacon-related programs and projects that provide donors with more data to incorporate into their philanthropic decision-making processes.
Engage with Nonprofits and Constituents
* Provide thought-leadership within the sector on issues related to the Culture & Community beacon and Leadership and Adaptability
* Develop partnerships with subject matter experts in the domains addressed by the Culture & Community and Leadership and Adaptability beacon.
* Support donor engagement on issues related to the beacons.
* Work with the CCNL to provide practitioner guidance
* Support nonprofit capacity-building nonprofits and communicate with other social change actors on issues related to the beacon.
Partner with internal teams
* Partner with other beacon leads to help test the metrics proposed within these beacons and their effects on the overall Encompass rating.
* Partner with Marcoms to support nonprofit outreach, education, and adoption of these beacons. Provide specific insights related to messaging and outreach to enhance the L&A and C&C beacon.
* Supervise a team of analysts to support this work with an eye toward mentorship and staff development
What you’ll need:
* Experience: 5 + years of leadership experience in a nonprofit setting in the areas of operations, and/or program implementation.
* Experience: 3+ years of expertise in monitoring and evaluation, including developing a theory of change, metrics creation, and testing, and some basic data analysis skills.
* Experience leading all stages of program development from ideation, pilot, and experimentation to execution and evaluation
* Experience as the leader or participant in a strategic planning process.
* Knowledge of HR and Leadership best practices and experience with related metrics.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills; demonstrably strong planning and organization skills; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with attention to accuracy and detail.
* Excellent community engagement skills with demonstrated experience in building strong partnerships; an effective network builder.
* Knowledge and understanding of the issues surrounding access, equity, diversity, and inclusion; ability and experience developing and implementing strategies to identify and define complex equity and inclusion issues within people operations and community engagement contexts.
* Comfortable conducting research, including but not limited to literature reviews and collecting and analyzing data
* Flexibility and initiative, as well as the ability to work independently and the ability to collaborate with others for productive outcomes.
* Orientation towards ongoing learning.
* Experience managing and mentoring staff.